By Dr. Inderjeet Singh (Article Source : Practo.com)
Here are 10 of the amazing health benefits of Carrots:
1. Improved Vision: Western culture’s understanding of carrots being ‘good for theeyes’ is one of the few we got right. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the liver. Vitamin A is transformed in the retina, to rhodopsin, a purple pigment necessary for night vision.Beta-carotene has also been shown to protect against macular degeneration and senile cataracts. A study found that people who eat the most beta-carotene had40 percent lower risk of macular degeneration than those who consumed little.
2. Cancer Prevention: Studies have shown carrots reduce the risk of lung cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer. Researchers have just discovered falcarinol and falcarindiol which they feel cause the anticancer properties.Falcarinol is a natural pesticide produced by the carrot that protects its roots from fungal diseases. Carrots are one of the only common sources of this compound. A study showed 1/3 lower cancer risk by carrot eating mice.
3. Anti-aging: The high levels beta-carotene act as an antioxidant to cell damage done to the body through regular metabolism. It helps to slow down the ageing of cells.
4. Healthy Glowing Skin (from the inside): Vitamin A and antioxidants protect the skin from sun damage. Deficiencies of vitamin A cause dryness to the skin, hair and nails. Vitamin prevents premature wrinkling, acne, dry skin, pigmentation, blemishes, uneven skin tone.
5. A Powerful Antiseptic: Known by herbalists to prevent infection. They can be used on cuts shredded raw or boiled and mashed.
6. Beautiful Skin (from the outside): Carrots are used as an inexpensive and very convenient facial mask. Just mix grated carrot with a bit of honey. See full recipe at carrot facemask.
7. Prevent Heart Disease: Studies show that diets high in carotenoids are associated with a lower risk of heart disease. Carrots have not only beta-carotene but also alpha-carotene and lutein.The regular consumption of carrots also reduces cholesterol levels because the soluble fibres in carrots binding with bile acids.
8. Cleanse the Body: Vitamin A assists the liver in flushing out the toxins from the body. It reduces the bile and fat in the liver. The fibres present in carrots help clean out the colon and hasten waste movement.
9. Healthy Teeth and Gums: It’s all in the crunch! Carrots clean your teeth and mouth. They scrape off plaque and food particles just like toothbrushes or toothpaste. Carrotsstimulate gums and trigger a lot of salivae, which is alkaline, balances out the acid forming, the cavity-forming bacteria. The minerals in carrots prevent tooth damage.
10. Prevent Stroke: From all the above benefits it is no surprise that a Harvard University study, people who ate more than six carrots a week are less likely to suffer a stroke than those who ate only one carrot a month or more.
Article Source : Practo.com